Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Flower Garden Doily & English History

I finished my Grandmother's Flower Garden Potholder pattern last night. 

 I didn't make it as a two-sided potholder. 


You can read more details regarding this project (here) at Ravelry.


I revised the edging to a round of green single crochet, another round of cream single crochet and a final round of *single crochet in next stitch, spiked double crochet into the next stitch's previous round* repeat from * to * around in green.


I'm using it as either a doily or a dishcloth.

You can purchase the pattern (here).


Today we visited our local Barnes and Nobles bookstore to pick up some current guide books for Great Britain and London for our Grand Circle Tour of England/Wales/Scotland next month.

The Michelin London book is from 1997 when Hubby took his first and only solo trip to Europe.

We have some free time in London so we're making a list of our must sees. 


I love English History.  

My love of English History started at an early age when I read a book in my Mother's bookcase entitled, "Forever Amber" by Kathleen Winsor.    It's still one of my most favorite historical romance novels.  It's set in 17th Century England during the reign of Charles II.  "Forever Amber" tells the story of orphaned Amber St. Clare, who makes her way up through the ranks of 17th century English society by sleeping with and/or marrying successively richer and more important men, while keeping her love for the man she could never have, Bruce Carlton.  The novel includes portrayals of Restoration fashion, politics, and public disasters, including the plague and the Great Fire of London.  I was sad to learn that the publishers edited the fifth draft of Ms. Winsor's book down to one-fifth of its original size to its published size of 972 pages.   I would have loved to read all of it before it was edited down.  Believe it or not, it was the best-selling US novel of the 1940s.  It was also responsible for popularizing "Amber" as a given name for girls in the 20th century.  And to this day it's still my favorite name for a girl.    

I just finished reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett and last night I started its sequel, "World Without End".  Both of Mr. Follett's historical English novels have been made into TV mini-series.   There are excellent reviews for the first TV mini-series but many reviewers felt the second TV mini-series didn't follow Mr. Follett's sequel book at all.  I have seen both TV mini-series but can't pass judgement on the second one until I finish the novel.     

Anyways... Hubby bought the book "British History for DUMMIES" because he doesn't read as many any historical English novels like I do and needs a crash course.    


This book is so funny and presents its topic in an easy-to-read manner.


And, of course, we needed a more serious look at British History too. 

Our packing for our trip across the pond is almost done.

And we still have a few weeks before we leave.

So we are in good shape.

Just getting a little more excited as the time goes by.


Yesterday I updated our chalkboard sign for Easter.

That's it for Easter decorations here.




3 comments:

  1. Such a pretty spring green! Happy Easter, Sandy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've been reading up on British history before your trip. It's amazing to see so much still preserved over there. I'm so excited about your trip for you. I know you are going to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy easter dear Sandy.;) I hope it is getting warmer for you, here we are celebrating Easter in snow, well that's a first one.;)
    I am sure you are very excited about your upcoming UK trip, those books look very interesting.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete